Sunday, March 9, 2014

Camryn - Flat Stanley Visits Wisconsin!

Hi Camryn, Mrs. Sturgis and the rest of the students in 2nd grade!

I know that this letter is long overdue, but the Preston family here in Wisconsin has kept me very, very busy!

First, I want to tell you that I have been part of a record breaking winter here in Wisconsin!  Unfortunately, the record is for the coldest winter ever – with over 50 days of temperature below 0 degrees Fahrenheit!  It has been so COLD!  They even had 3 days off of school while I was here because the windchill temperatures were more than 40 degrees below zero!

But, there is also lots of snow and the cold temps did not always keep us from enjoying the snow…

We went sledding, downhill skiing, ice fishing, and snow shoeing in the woods with their dog, Cash!









One unusual activity that happens every February is sturgeon spearing on Lake Winnebago! People sit in a dark shack on the lake and wait for a sturgeon to swim by to spear it.  I did not actually go spearing, but I did get to see some of the fish that were speared!  



As for school, I got to spend lots of time in a 7th grade science classroom learning all about the human body and doing lots of neat experiments.  Here we are burning walnuts to see how much heat energy is released This is similar to how calories on food labels are measured!


I also got to be part of a middle school play, The Secret Garden that Camryn's cousins were involved in.  Garrett played a doctor in the gray suit!  I helped the cast learn their lines and watched their performance.

Helping sell tickets with Karissa!
Posing with the entire cast!
Basketball is a big activity for the Prestons from November until
March. Garrett played on his
school team before I got here.
GO HUSKIES!
 
Karissa played lots of games

with her Varsity team and
Camryn's aunt coached the
middle school girls team!
I did not get to play, but I did
spend lots of time on the bench
and cheering in the stands.

A big tourist attraction in Wisconsin that we were hoping to get to while I was here was the indoor water parks in the Wisconsin Dells!
That did not happen, but I am now on my way to a much warmer place. The Prestons wish that they could come with me, but airfare is just too expensive for all of them - that is one benefit of being flat!   

     
Bye for Now!                 

Camryn's Flat Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment